
My walk with Jesus has spanned over 14 years, most of which during my adolescent and teenage days. I remember when the cross became more than a story; when worship became more than music; when prayer became more than talking. I remember when my heart began to change for people; when I steeped out in faith because I believed Him to be faithful; when I experienced His abundant provision in times of need. I have experienced true fellowship, and I have seen the miraculous work of prayer. I have read the Bible, studied it, and taught it to others. I have shared the gospel, and I have seen people accept Jesus as Lord of their life.
Many things have brought me to my knees with thanksgiving and caused words of praise and admiration to stream from my lips. But there is one truth, one striking revelation, which has swept me off my feet. Many truths have helped to piece the image of Jesus in my mind, but never has one made him so personable, so lovable, so mine. With this truth fresh on my heart, my relationship with Jesus can be the passionate love affair it is meant to be.
Now that I have kept you in enough suspense, what is this truth that has revolutionized my reaction to Jesus? Here it is: He’s fond of me. He likes me. And not the me that I will become, and not the me that I once was. But just me. Me with all my flaws, quirky and annoying habits, weaknesses, and rough edges. Me with my every one of my talents, passions, strengths, and positive traits. There is nothing—absolutely nothing—that I can do to impress him, nor could I do anything to make him think less of me. He will always think my voice is the sweetest sound, my time is a precious gift, and my heart an invaluable jewel worthy of protection and unceasing love.
Allow me to explain this concept in a more tangible way. If He and I were both at a party mingling (humor me), He would make his way to me through the crowd because He finds me intriguing, appealing, and attractive. If He and I were going to a movie with a group of friends, He would ask to sit by me so He could share in my reactions, be there when I lean over to state my opinion, and hold my hand if I am afraid. If He and I were at a dance hall, He would ask for my hand so that He could be close enough to smell my hair, feel my heart beat, and allow His own joy to overtake Him as I gracefully spin around Him. Yes, Jesus likes me…a lot.
Why was this so revolutionizing to me? I can’t recall a time when I doubted Jesus’ love for me. And more than that, I know that His love is not circumstantial. I know intellectually and in my heart that Jesus will continue loving me no matter what transpires in my life. He actually has to. It’s in his nature as God.
But does he have to like me? You don’t love everyone you like, and you don’t always like everyone you love. Love in some senses, or at least in the sense I have perceived it, is somewhat obligatory. You love your mother because she’s your mother; she holds a special position in your life. You don’t have to like her to love, respect, and honor her. In the same way, I know that I can never lose God’s love; he’s obligated to me. But He chooses to like me. He chooses to pursue a passionate and fanatical love affair with me because He can’t keep his mind and eyes off me. In that way, His like for me isn’t connected to His love, because one is a choice and one isn’t.
Do you see how this simple truth challenges and confounds the belief of so many lackadaisical Christians around the globe? Friend, we are missing out when we simply accept Jesus as our savior. One of our greatest mistakes is limiting Him to being only a man who lived 2 thousand years ago and died on a cross for our sins. If you have accepted that truth (and I pray to God that you have) then I pray God’s blessings over you. May He strengthen you in his power and truth until the day of Jesus’ return. But this I also urge you with all my heart: realize that Jesus is desperately and passionately in love with you. Confront the truth that he anxiously waits to hear your voice, dry your tears, and lead you on. He is quite fond of you. Allow Him to become ever real, ever close, and ever yours. Let a passionate love affair be your pursuit, as I know it is His.
~ Thank you, Jesus, for liking me though I am nothing close to admirable. ~

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home